Exercise of the Month
Dumbbell Chest Fly
This exercise will strengthen the chest (pectoral) muscles. For maximum benefit, perform this exercise alongside other common chest exercises, such as push-ups and chest press, to allow for developing strength on varying planes of movement.
- Begin by lying on your back on a firm surface such as a bench or the floor, holding dumbbells over your chest with palms facing each other.
- Your back should remain in a neutral position during the movement. If your back arches when using a bench, try placing your feet on a slightly raised platform to help keep the spine in a neutral position.
- Slowly lower your arms out to the sides until they are level with your shoulders or chest.
- Ensure that you don’t hunch your shoulders while performing the exercise. Instead, pull the shoulder blades slightly down and back so that they make firm contact with the floor or bench.
- To complete the exercise, slowly bring the arms back up into the starting position. Maintain a slight bend at the elbows throughout each repetition.
Please remember that safety should be your first priority when working out. If you are a beginner, please ask one of our Fitness Specialists to help ensure proper form.
For other exercise tips, schedule a session with one of our Personal Trainers or contact Brian Balkam at (847) 535-7621.